DBC Network

Wednesday 5 August 2009

Hands-on Review: Franklin Wireless EV-DO Modem


My EV-DO modem test has me close to heaven, but heaven doesn't come cheap. I'm sitting at a conference devoted to the future of book publishing (more on that next). It's being held in the "turn of the century" NYC Public Library. Normally, to get online I'd need to traipse up to their computer corral, take a number, and wait. Or I'd brave the weather in Bryant Park where Intel has installed a Wi-Fi hotspot. But today, I'm testing the new Franklin Wireless EV-DO modem. And I'm connected...even inside these thick oak walls. The only rub? Boy, is it an expensive service.

EV-DO stands for Evolution Data Only, and it's a protocol that works with CDMA cellular carriers to allow the transmission of data. The translation? In the U.S. this means that if you use Verizon or Sprint you can use a cellular modem. In Franklin Wireless's case, its USB CDU:550 modem fits into the USB slot on my laptop and is delivering, at this very moment, about 486Kbps (the claim is 600Kbps). Not too shabby. I'm surfing and emailing from places that were once impenetrable. The Franklin Wireless is one of the first USB dongle EV-DO modems, and, according to the company, part of its uniqueness is that the modem works with a variety of products, including tablet PCs and Mac laptop and desktop users.

To install, all I did was put the modem in my USB slot and use the accompanying CD to install a nice little desktop application which turns the wireless on and off. It immediately recognized my Sprint signal and I've been on and offline with it for days. Occasionally the modem gets hung up coming out of my notebook's sleep mode, but I just pop it out and back in again. This card seems sturdy and reliable, and while it's not as fast as a Wi-Fi connection, it's faster than finding one when I need to go online.

Ouch on the price! There's a promo going on now where you can get the modem for $269.99 (no activation) or get it with activation for $239.99. There are some rebates, too. But the one-year plan for an individual is $60 a month to use it.

At one point, I'd heard rumors that Sprint, Verizon, and others were going to start offering less expensive plans by the day, not the month. That would be perfect for me, because I know in advance when I'll be traveling and when I'll need the service. I'm hoping that as these USB modems mature the the pricing will change to reflect how people will really use them

http://tech.yahoo.com

Related Post



No comments:

Post a Comment