DBC Network

Wednesday 5 August 2009

Fixing a DSL Modem That Croaks Once a Day

Helen writes: We have to unplug and replug our DSL modem in every day, otherwise we can't get online. This only started happening recently. What could be the problem?

Believe it or not, your problem is common. Some people with broadband modems have connections that never fail, some have erratic ones that freeze up from time to time. In fact, in my last home, I experienced the exact same problem as you did, Helen: My DSL modem would give every indication that it was still connected (via status lights and the management screen), but in reality it could no longer send or receive info. I'd turn it off, turn it back on, and all would suddenly be fine.

The reasons for this are many and, regardless of what the real problem is, are probably impossible for you to personally solve. In my case, I lived a few hundred yards from a TV broadcasting antenna that was causing interference on the phone line. Your case might be an electrical transformer that's too close to your modem, causing EMF interference. Dirty power lines could be the issue, or your house may just be too far from the phone company's regional office for DSL to work properly, 100 percent of the time.

The bad news is that you're probably stuck with the daily reboot. The good news is that you can automate this: In fact, it's exactly what I did in our old place. I simply bought a $6 light timer (the kind you use for your Christmas lights), and plugged the modem (and my wireless router) into it. I set the timer to stay on for the entire day, except for a five-minute block around 6 am. With the reboots happening automatically, I no longer had to worry about my DSL signal vanishing suddenly, and the entire network was much more stable. It's low-tech, but it honestly works.


http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/498;_ylt=AobOoPNRxzKJcZrsCNUPKrwSLpA5

Related Post



No comments:

Post a Comment