DBC Network

Wednesday 19 August 2009

Dead-finger tech: 3G USB Modem, Prestigio Powerbank 501


Connectivity is addictive, and in my line of work it’s a prerequisite for timely assessing the latest cybercrime incidents as they emerge in order to properly respond to them. Next to connectivity, I put mobility as the second most important success factor, in particular my ability to increase the average working time for my power-hungry laptop.

How do I satisfy my addictions? A universal 3G USB modem next to a Prestigio Powerbank 501 universal external battery is my dead-finger tech combination, and I’m not giving up on it anytime soon. Here’s why.

Supposedly, the ubiquity of wireless networks available virtually at every airport, hotel or conference is supposed to solve my connectivity concern, however, it isn’t due to a simple fact - these very same wireless networks are either insecure by default or disturbingly easy to compromise, something that can be avoided at least on the protocol level by migrating to 3G connectivity. A universal 3G USB modem is your best friend, not only allowing you to enjoy the full potential of your laptop/netbook compared to a smartphone, but also, due to its standard feature of automatic detection of network protocol availability such as HSDPA/GPRS/UMTS.

Where’s the catch? It’s the high price for the data packages internationally which you should always double check, but personally, it’s worth it since it helped me break through my insecure wireless dependence on several occasions in the past.

Now that the (secure) connectivity addiction is solved, it’s time to boost mobility through another personal dead-finger tech - a Prestigio Powerbank 501 universal external battery. Whereas it looks bulky, it weighs just 420 grams and thanks to the USB fixed output, as well as the variety of connectors that come with the external battery, you can be sure that your gadgets arsenal will get the power boost it needs.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3834

Related Post



No comments:

Post a Comment